As the leaves change color and the crisp autumn air sweeps in, artists of all levels eagerly anticipate the arrival of October. Why? Because it’s time again for Inktober 2023! This worldwide drawing challenge has become a beloved tradition, inviting artists to pick up their pens, brushes, and inks and embark on a month-long artistic journey. For artists of all levels of expertise and creative expression, this event provides a fantastic opportunity to come together, showcase your artistic talents, and challenge yourself to draw every day throughout the month. Let’s start Inktober 2023!
Whether you’re a seasoned pro or a budding artist, Inktober is a chance to ignite your creativity, improve your skills, and be a part of a vibrant and supportive artistic community. In this article, we’ll delve into the captivating world of Inktober, encouraging artists of every level of comfort and creative expression to come together, show their art, and challenge themselves to draw every day in October.
What is Inktober?
Inktober was created by artist Jake Parker in 2009 as a personal challenge to improve his own inking skills. Over the years, it has grown into a global phenomenon, inspiring thousands of artists worldwide to pick up their pens, brushes, and other ink-based tools to participate. The concept is simple: create an ink drawing every day in October based on a set of prompts or themes provided by Jake Parker or your own selection. And then these daily drawings are shared on social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, and Facebook using the hashtag #Inktober.
Why Participate in Inktober?
- Boost Your Creativity: One of the most significant benefits of participating in Inktober is the daily exercise in creativity. Each prompt offers a new challenge, pushing you to think outside the box and explore different subjects and styles.
- Develop Your Skills: Consistency is key when it comes to improving your artistic abilities. By drawing daily, you’ll notice improvements in your line work, shading, and composition.
- Overcome Perfectionism: Inktober encourages artists to embrace imperfections and work with what they have. The ink is unforgiving, and there’s no erasing or undoing. It teaches you to go with the flow and accept your art as it is.
- Connect with a Community: Inktober isn’t just about personal growth; it’s also about connecting with fellow artists. Sharing your daily creations on social media allows you to interact with a supportive community of artists who appreciate your work and offer valuable feedback.
- Build a Portfolio: By the end of October, you’ll have a collection of 31 ink drawings. This can serve as a mini-portfolio that showcases your artistic journey and range of skills.
The Ease and Invitation of Inktober
Whether you’re a routine creator or are opening your creativity after a summer hiatus or for the first time, Inktober is an open creativity invitation. For some, drawing comes with ease; for others, a little nudge and community challenge may be all one needs to find motivation. The ease and invitation of Inktober 2023 have us artists here at Bohemian’s Minds grateful and eager to step into our flow and share our work. As we had in years before, check back here for our community’s uploads of Inktober 2023 submissions. If you’re interested in the challenge’s official rules and FAQs, find them here and here. So, find inspiration in your own creations, and lean into the courage to create to make your own with inspiration from our Inktober tips, below.
2023 Inktober Prompts
Every year, the official Inktober drawing prompt list is released ahead of time. This really helps those of us who may need a little early motivation and preparation time. Each day, a spooky, eerie, haunting, goofy, or otherwise October-esque idea acts as inspiration. Here’s this year’s list:
Tips for Participating in Inktober
Set Realistic Goals
- If you’re new to Inktober, start with setting realistic goals, such as drawing every other day or completing half of the prompts. Remember that a new habit or hobby can take up to three weeks to feel like a routine and to build confidence.
- And if daily drawing seems daunting, consider a modified version of Inktober, such as creating a drawing every other day or completing a weekly challenge.
- More experienced artists can certainly aim for the full 31 days; give yourself grace.
Keep it Simple
- Also, don’t feel pressured to create elaborate masterpieces every day. Sometimes, simplicity can be just as powerful. Focus on the process, not just the end result. Pro tip: Some of the most powerful art uses negative space. This means that in art, sometimes less really can be more!
Gather Your Supplies
- Invest in quality ink pens, brushes, and paper to make the most of the challenge. Gathering your supplies is a big step in already acting on your intentions. It can ease your process to ensure you make as many prompts as you can in this month-long challenge!
- Experiment with different ink types, such as India ink or brush pens, to discover your preferred tools.
- Decide whether you’ll follow the official prompts or create your own. Having a plan in place before October begins will help you feel more prepared to opt in for this community creative invitation. You’ll also stay on track! Gather your supplies, include Inktober prompts in your ‘to-do’ lists, and schedule creativity time in your morning, day, or night.
- Familiarize yourself with the prompt list in advance, allowing time for brainstorming and sketching ideas.
- Create a schedule that fits your daily routine to ensure you have time for your artwork.
- Don’t be afraid to make mistakes; they are part of the learning process.
- Use this challenge as an opportunity to try new techniques, styles, or materials. Don’t be afraid to make mistakes; they’re part of the learning process. A great memo to take into our greater lives, too!
- Perfectionism can hinder creativity, so embrace the spontaneity of the challenge.
Share Your Journey
- Use social media platforms like Instagram, Twitter, or TikTok to share your daily creations with the global Inktober community.
- Encourage and support fellow artists by commenting on their work and engaging in discussions.
- If the public feels too much too fast, for you – share with a safe friend, partner, or your pet. It still counts, courageous creator, you!
- Surround yourself with inspiration. Follow other Inktober participants, explore different art styles, and take breaks when needed to recharge your creative energy.
- Accountability buddies can go really far for human motivation. Why not invite your friends to join the challenge too? Remember – it’s not about comparing and contrasting results. Strive to enjoy your own creative process and feel proud of your intention setting and discipline. Sitting in front of ink and paper (or tablet and screen!) is an accomplishment. Stay inspired!
Join our creative community!
Inktober is more than just a drawing challenge; it’s a celebration of creativity, discipline, and community. Whether you’re an aspiring artist looking to improve your skills or an experienced creator seeking inspiration, Inktober 2023 has something to offer everyone. So, this October, pick up your ink pen, open your creativity, and join Bohemians’ Minds and global artists for Inktober 2023. Remember, it’s not about perfection; it’s about progress and the joy of creating. Join the Inktober movement, share your art, and be a part of this incredible global celebration of ink and imagination. Let your creativity flow, one ink stroke at a time.
About the author:
I am passionate about making the best of life through cherishing relationships, exploring worldly experiences, and cultivating a creative lifestyle of art, music, dance, and fitness. I am a self-taught painter, inspired by the sublimity of nature, consciousness, love and universal transcendence that binds all of humanity and nature, together.